The office move checklist that will send you packing
From company announcements to packing tape: everything you need to know in order to pull off a successful office relocation, all in one handy office move checklist.
Your company needs to move offices and you're in charge. Unless you live for high-stress, high-pressure environments, you're probably not psyched. Your company's in good company: 78% of offices actually delay moving just to avoid the stress.
We aren't actually recommending that you procrastinate the whole thing though, so don't stop reading. Office moves are the kind of thing where "the earlier the better" rings true for every step. So we went back in our archives and beefed up this office move checklist. Office moves are also the kind of thing where stones should not be left unturned. Especially since changing buildings doesn’t often have an "Undo" option.Hopefully this covers most of it.
What you get:
- Did you know that 69.5 million square feet of new office space will be delivered by the end of 2018, according to Cushman & Wakefield? Competition for leasing office space is tight, but we outlined how to find the right space for your company, from how to attract the best talent to calculating headcount growth and employee square footage over the years.
- Budget expense lists for office moves feel like a never ending CVS receipt. We list the most necessary expenses to calculate for, with specifics on each, like how much internet you'll need, the must-have perks employees expect, and more.
- If your employees aren't excited for the office move, your job only becomes that much harder. Plan how to get your employees involved early on with the internal marketing and feedback strategies listed inside.
- Planning and calculating for an office move is only half the battle. The second phase is making the move itself as smooth as possible for both you and your colleagues. That includes specific ways to measure the success of tech training and workplace happiness, all of which we made sure to cover for you.
- Find out how companies, both large and small, handled their own office moves with specific examples of what worked, what didn't, and how they eased into a new office space.
- Don't worry, that's only a small part of it. There's much more inside. Find out for yourself.
Editor’s note: This post was originally published in 2016 by Ryan MacInnis and has been completely revamped and updated for accuracy and comprehensiveness.